Nursing homes are meant to provide the care and support for elders that friends and family are often unable to provide on their own. Unfortunately, elder abuse is not uncommon in San Diego facilities, subjecting elderly residents to serious injuries and illnesses that may take months for family members to discover.
Abuse falls into four categories: physical, sexual, emotional, and financial. Additionally, neglect can result in just as serious injuries and illnesses as direct abuse.
To stay aware of your loved one’s condition, frequently visit him or her and be on the lookout for the signs of each abuse, as the victim will often not talk about what happened due to intimidation by the perpetrator.
- Physical: Bruises, cuts, fractures, broken bones, open wounds, sprains, signs of being restrained, sudden changes in behavior, and other physical damage without explanation.
- Emotional: Sudden and unusual changes in behavior, non-communicative or non-responsive behavior, being upset or agitated, and other behaviors that have no known origin.
- Sexual: Bruising, bleeding, and other injuries to genitals and other sexual areas, damaged underclothing, and other unexplained sexual damage.
- Financial: Sudden changes in finances, changes to wills, unauthorized withdrawals on elder’s account, forged signatures, and other strange activity with finances.
- Neglect: Dehydration, malnutrition, untreated wounds and health problems, unsanitary living conditions, poor personal hygiene, and generally poor living conditions.
Should your loved one be injured due to the actions or inactions of nursing home staff, they deserve compensation for their losses in order to recover to the best of their abilities and hold the at-fault parties responsible. The San Diego nursing home abuse lawyers at Carpenter, Zuckerman & Rowley are dedicated to protecting the rights of the elderly and preventing further instances of abuse occurring in southern California. For more information on how we may be able to help you, call our offices at (619) 814-9000.